Re: Driveshaft U-Joint question?

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Driveshaft U-Joint question?
From: Paul Moon <pmoon@misgate.mcgh.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 98 10:03:01 -0500
Rick,

At last, someone is asking about something I've played with on my
Spitfire. I replaced all the U-Joints and the rear oil seal on my
car this summer. At the time all the advice I got was to leave the
tin can at the front of the driveshaft well alone. I have heard it
is not servicable.

As for the gear box leak, replacing the rear oil seal on the back
of the gearbox is really simple once the driveshaft has been removed
(the driveshaft has to be removed to replace it). If my memory
serves me correctly, you should find a large nut at the back end of
the gearbox where the front of the driveshart bolts on. Simply undo
this and you should then be able to prise out the old seal and put
in a new one. The seals are available for a few dollars from all the
major suppliers (Vickie Britt, Moss etc... got mine from Spitbits).

Hope this helps,
Paul
79 Spitfire - pictures at www.scouse.com (site still in the early
stages of construction)