Re: equation blues

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: equation blues
From: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 05:37:55 -0700
Actually, Joe, I never really expected anything to come of this ro-spit
challenge thread.  At best, I was hoping for some actual numbers from these
cars, stock, modified and super modified!  I would give me a good idea for
my own spitfire's potential.  I'm about 10 years away from an early
retirement at 55.  At that time, I want to stop driving my pampered
spitfire to work and start driving it to the race track.  Choosing just
what class I want to race in and how modified I want to get is a very tough
question. I'm looking seriously at the competition preperation manual for
the spitfire put out by Triumph.  It looks like the cheapest and easiest
way to prepare my spitfire for the track.  But I digress.  I just don't
understand why Laura, Dan Masters, and company can't just post some real
numbers to this list? How hard is it to drive your car down the road and
take some real measurements? You don't need a racetrack. All you need is a
straight piece of highway, pull off to the side, set up a stopwatch, and
floor it! That should satisfy any challenge and give everyone a real look
into the differences these cars have.  I certainly don't expect Laura to
beat the wankle. But I do expect numbers closer than everyone else on the
list expects.  There is no need to physically get these cars together,
although it would be great fun if it does ever happen.  Through the years,
I have found that hard numbers are very difficult to cajole out of racers.
There seems to be a real reluctance on the part of racing owners to say
"here is exactly how my car performed last week".  I know that if I owned a
modified racer, I would know exactly what it can do. I'd be out there with
a stop watch.