Re: Cyber Rallye

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cyber Rallye
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:15:31 EST
I like the idea.  I should have two good cars to compete with by Jan.  My only
problem is finding a sutable strait road at least a quarter mile long in
Hawaii. :)

I don't think the lack of a calibrated Smiths speedo should be a problem.  As
long as each person can figure out what their speedo reads when they actually
hit 60.  Just mark of a bit of road for exactly one mile with a car that has a
good odometer.  Then take the car with suspect speedo and drive at a sustained
speed across the marked off mile and time yourself.  Adjust your speed for
several different runs until you hit the mile point in exactly 60 seconds.
What ever your speedo reads on that run is 60 MPH for you.  Then we can have a
quarter mile 0-60 competition.  Its just that 0-60 for your car may end up
being 0-64.

If this is going to work it will require a high degree of integrity on
everyones part or it will mean nothing.  So it is up to everyone to ensure
they do a good job of figuring out what 60 MPH is for them.  This way everyone
gets to play.  In fact everyone should probably be required to check their
speedo for accuracy just to be fair.

David Gates
Hawaii
'73 Spitfire 1500 (Daily driver)
'78 Spitfire 1500 (working on this one)
'76 Spitfire 1500 (just acquired, probably going to be a parts car)
http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm  <--- Rogues Gallery
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=8239  <--- The Garage Sale