Re: Cyber Rallye

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cyber Rallye
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 08:19:09 -0600
Listers,

For those of you that don't have calibrated speedos just have someone in a
vega or pinto pace you..........

> I like the idea.  I should have two good cars to compete with by Jan.  My
> only problem is finding a sutable strait road at least a quarter mile long
> in Hawaii. :)
>
> I don't think the lack of a calibrated Smiths speedo should be a problem.
> As long as each person can figure out what their speedo reads when they
> actually hit 60.  Just mark of a bit of road for exactly one mile with a
> car that has a good odometer.  Then take the car with suspect speedo and
> drive at a sustained speed across the marked off mile and time yourself.
> Adjust your speed for several different runs until you hit the mile point
> in exactly 60 seconds. What ever your speedo reads on that run is 60 MPH
> for you.  Then we can have a quarter mile 0-60 competition.  Its just that
> 0-60 for your car may end up being 0-64.
>
> If this is going to work it will require a high degree of integrity on
> everyones part or it will mean nothing.  So it is up to everyone to ensure
> they do a good job of figuring out what 60 MPH is for them.  This way
> everyone gets to play.  In fact everyone should probably be required to
> check their speedo for accuracy just to be fair.
>
> David Gates
> Hawaii
> '73 Spitfire 1500 (Daily driver)
> '78 Spitfire 1500 (working on this one)
> '76 Spitfire 1500 (just acquired, probably going to be a parts car)
> http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm  <--- Rogues Gallery
> http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=8239  <--- The Garage Sale
>

> In a message dated 12/4/98 2:47:53 PM Hawaiian Standard Time,
> spitlist@gte.net writes:
>
> > Ken,
> >  I guess that leaves me out.  My Speedo is a Jaeger and it is not
> >  accurate since the tires and differential are not matched to it!!!
> >
> >  Joe

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108