Re: engine rebuild

To: Chris Pappathopoulos <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: engine rebuild
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 17:00:42 -0500
Chris Pappathopoulos wrote:

> I am going to start rebuilding my 1500 engine next week. Should I use an
> engine assembly lube as I put it back together? If so, does anyone have
> a suggestion on which brand to use?
>
> Thanks
> Chris Pappathopoulos

Chris, I have received several suggestions assembly lube when rebuilding my
1500 engine.  I work with some professional engine mechanics and they
recommended that one use just plain old engine oil. It's easy to work with
and has the same effect as all the other "fancy" lubricants.  The major
point that they stressed is that all the oil passages need to be
"absolutely" clean.  No residue, no oil, nothing prior to installation of
the crankshaft bearings.  I used pipe cleaners and a few cans of brake
cleaner (as a degreaser) to rinse out the oil passages prior to assembly.
Also, make sure you thoroughly clean the passages in the crank from the
mains to the rod bearings. sometimes these will collect contaminants during
the grinding or polishing process.  Best of luck!!!

--
Patrick Barber
74 Spitfire 1500 (Organ donor)