Re: engine rebuild

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: engine rebuild
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 21:42:22 -0500
>I am going to start rebuilding my 1500 engine next week. Should I use an
>engine assembly lube as I put it back together? If so, does anyone have
>a suggestion on which brand to use?
>
>Thanks
>Chris Pappathopoulos
Chris,

Definitely Yes.  It is imperative that you use a lube especially on the cam
and lifters.  I always use it on the main and rod bearings as well.  Most
cam manufacturers have a break-in lube that they market under their brand
name and it should be available at any decent parts store.  Don't let
anyone talk you into just using motor oil, you will substantially reduce
the life of your engine.  Also be sure to prime your oil pump by spinning
it and and drawing oil into it before installing it.  I usually use a bowl
with fresh oil in it and spin it with a drill, to make sure that it works
and that it is well primed.  I have heard of people removing the bottom
cover and packing the oil pump with vasoline, but I have never tried this.
Good luck with your rebuild!

Glenn Trunnell
'79 Spitfire