Re: engine rebuild

To: Ron and Angie <nottingham@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: engine rebuild
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 23:00:28 -0500
Ron and Angie wrote:

> >Chris, I have received several suggestions assembly lube when rebuilding my
> >1500 engine.  I work with some professional engine mechanics and they
> >recommended that one use just plain old engine oil. It's easy to work with
> >and has the same effect as all the other "fancy" lubricants.  The major
>
> The "plain old engine oil" will drain back before the engine is put back
> together if one does not reassemble everything at the same time.  I would
> prefer to err on the side of caution and use the assembly lube.  With using
> assembly lube, after 10 to 15 minutes of operation, the oil and the filter
> will need to be changed.  Assembly lube works better if you do not want to
> be rushed, and you spread the rebuild out over several weekends.
>
> Ron and Angie - Dalton, Ga
> 84 300ZX Turbo    77 Spitfire      92 Tempo GLS    62 Vitesse
> IZCC# 4779
> "I gotta go, you're killing me!" - Kim Peterson, WGST 105.7, Atlanta

Ron, I don't agree with your statement that "The "plain old engine oil" will
drain back before the engine is put back
together..." Engine oil is your primary lubricant.  The thin films that remain
on the bearing surfaces during your morning startup are the same as the film
that you will apply during reconstruction.  This amount of oil is sufficient to
prevent damage during reconstruction.

Glenn Trunnell replies in another note on this thread that it would be best to
prime your oil system prior to initial startup and I agree that this would very
beneficial.

WRT the cams, some high performance cam manufacturers provide a pre-lube grease
with their new cams. For the Spitfire application, I do not think that it is all
that important.  Engine oil would suffice here as well.  The valve spring loads
are so light on the 1500 engine that the machine shop who reconditioned the head
thought that they were defective, that is until they looked up the values.

Also, the BL Spitfire 1500 Repair Operation Manual indicates that engine oil be
used as a lubricant.

Chris, in my opinion, it is not the lubricant you choose that is not all that
important. What is most important is cleanliness.  Keep your work area as clean
as you possibly can. Also, spend the money and buy a book on engine rebuilding,
it will be very beneficial.  Let us know how it goes.

--
Patrick Barber
74 Spitfire 1500 (Organ donor)