Re: retrofitting an overdrive unit

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: retrofitting an overdrive unit
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 21:44:29 EST
Huw,

I have a '76 W/ OD and a '78 without.  I measured the '76 OD mounting plate.
You can see a diagram I drew at http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/plate.htm

The main differences are that the non OD plate has the bolt holes for the
chassis toward the rear and the OD plate the holes are toward the front.  It
almost looks like it was unbolted and rotated 180 degrees.  The other main
difference is that the non OD plate has a raised section where the trans mount
attaches to it.  The OD plate is depressed by 1/8" as you can see on the
diagram.  There is a notch in the chassis that I made a measurement from, I
hope yours has the same notch.

I wish I could let you have the plate, but I am planning on installing this OD
into my '78 VERY soon.

David Gates
Hawaii
'73 Spitfire 1500 (Daily driver)
'78 Spitfire 1500 (working on this one)
'76 Spitfire 1500 (just acquired, probably going to be a parts car)
http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm  <--- Rogues Gallery
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=8239  <--- The Garage Sale