Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!

To: Brian Furgalus <mowog@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:40:37 -0800
Brian Furgalus wrote:

> Well, folks, here I go again.  This week I will hopefully be going to go look
> at two Spitfires, one a '75, the other an '80.  Both owners have told me that
> the cars are rust-free, and are in VGC.  The '75 is yellow, has 65K miles, and
> was repainted three years ago.  The rear bumper infill piece and two
> overriders have been removed as well.  Interior is said to be good as well.  I
> asked on a scale of 1-10, he gave it a seven.  On to the '80.  The '80 is Red,
> origional paint.  The interior is the original Tan Hounstooth, in good
> condition.  The car has 35K miles on it(!), and has O/D.  I'd be inclined to
> go with the '80, if not for anything but the O/D.  The only drawback?  He's
> asking $4,000, which I personally think is a tad steep for a Spitfire,
> especially at this time of year.  Not to mention my budget precludes any car
> much over $3,000!  :)  The '75 is $3,200.  SO... any ideas on how to get the
> '80's price down?  Is that a fair market value?  I've been told that $3,000
> TOPS for a nice Spitfire.  Hope to hear from you guys soon, I may go see it as
> soon as tomorrow!
>
> Cheers,
> Brian Furgalus
> mowog@usa.net

Brian, I can't tell you how or how not to buy, but, you are exactly
correct when you think 4K is high. Is it needs nothing and I mean
nothing, then 4K is close to being in line. You must remember anything
you have to spend you add to the 4K, and this means the smallest items,
which add-up very fast from 4 to 6500, so see how much trouble your
budget can be down the road. It is not just the price you pay today, but,
tomorrow's price you need to keep a close look at. Here are the most
important questions you need "GOOD" answers for =
# 1 = how long have you owned it and where did you get it
# 2 = how much work have "you" done to it
# 3 = documentation for all work = no he said/she said
# 4 = local car or not
# 5 = why are you selling it
# 1 is very, very important
Look under both sides of car front floor mats for rust
look in the entire trunk area for rust
look under car at the frame and shck towers for rust
look for and fiber glass filler
If this person is just selling it and a recent purchase you get the H#$%@
out of there.
Talk to the previous owner or don't buy. His/her name must be on the
title and be sure to check the title transfer dates for truthfullness.
I had a used car lot for 25 + years if any of this posting seems familiar