Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!
From: Ronald Fowler <triumph@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:02:38 -0500
jonmac wrote:

> > > Brian, I can't tell you how or how not to buy, but, you are
> exactly
> > > correct when you think 4K is high. Is it needs nothing and I mean
> > > nothing, then 4K is close to being in line.
>
> If the car is truly a rust
> > free stand up car with overdrive and a real red one then the price
> is
> > probably close to being right - especially if it comes with the
> optional
> > hardtop!
>
> Hi, Leon
>
> How are the Wombles?
>
> These two snipped threads are of some amazement to me. They border on
> the fact that these guys probably don't know they are born in terms
> of good fortune. For comparative purposes, what would an equivalent
> Condition 1 1980 Spitfire go for in the UK? On an exchange rate of
> Quid 1 = US$1.65 this means these guys are talking about 2500
> sterling. For that matter, a guideline price in quids or bucks for a
> 1968 Mk 3 1300 hard/soft top in rust free original white, overdrive
> and a genuine 37000 miles would be of more than passing interest to
> me.
> Lubenham suggested my GT6 Mk II (admittedly an oddball in rust free
> original Valencia, black LEATHER, GENUINE walnut ex factory
> instrument panel and 28,000miles) O/D on 2, 3, 4 with a 3.27 diff is
> worth around 6500 quid or US$11,000.
>
> As these two babies are now mothballed in another location in France
> awaiting a return to UK, I think its time I jacked up the fire /
> theft insurance cover while in store. Something tells me they are
> currently rather undervalued.
>
> John

John,

Great response!  Actually, I do feel that I am born of good fortune -
hey, I own a Spitfire!!

The problem on this side of the pond is that Spitfires are seriously
undervalued!  (Actually, this is good for us that truly admire and
appreciate what the car is!)  I purchased my rust free '80 in #1
condition with the optional hardtop and overdrive with 45,000 miles for
$3,000 four years ago.  The car sat on a used car lot for an entire
summer at an asking price of $5,000.  There was no interest in the car
at that level and I informed the owner that I would return in the fall
and the car would still be there and I would then gladly pay him the
$3,000 that I had offered him to begin with.  That fall the Spitfire was
mine!

About a year ago, for entertainment purposes only, I put a for sale sign
on it for $4,950 at a major show to judge people's reaction.  The sign
got noticed frequently!  However, the most frequent comment overheard
was $5,000 for a Spitfire!

The enthusiasm (and money) in the States for Triumphs generally tends to
the TR series.  Heck, the wedge cars are even frowned upon unless they
have V8 power!  Stag's generally bring decent money but the
TR2/3/4/250/6 are held to be the valuable Triumphs.  I wholeheartedly
disagree but I know that I'm in the minority.  As fewer truly nice
Spitfires and GT6's are found over here (salt on our roads during winter
really eats them up), I'm sure the price will tend higher on the better
examples.

Looking for an outstanding GT6!

Regards,

Ron Fowler
'80 Inca Yellow Spitfire with Overdrive
'80 Platinum TR8 and four other wedges without V8 power!