Re: Re: Rear hubs

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2), OneTimeCRX@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Re: Rear hubs
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:03:07 -0500
At 08:32 AM 1/7/99, Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 wrote:
>Henry, I apologize but I did not quite catch what you meant for a hub
>puller in your original post.  Could someone explain what we are talking
>about and how it works for me.  I just overhauled (not a complete rebuild)
>on my rear suspension and don't remember needing this (just needed a big
>hammer).  Did I miss something.

Patrick,

The hub puller is needed to remove the wheel and brake mountings on the
tapered part of the rear axle.  (ref. Vicky Brit catalogue Page 130, item
18 on the right column) Failure to use the tool could result in a damaged
or out of true axle or flange (according to past posts).

Did you ever remove the large nut on the end of the axle on your car?  When
I did, a week of soaking in penetrant and using pullers failed to remove
the flange.  It popped off in 30 seconds using a buddy's TSSC tool.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire