Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question

To: Brian Furgalus <mowog@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:05:59 -0500
Brian Furgalus wrote:

> I am going to be making a gentleman an offer on a 1980 Spitfire. The car is
> in nice mechanical condition, but the rear end concerns me.  At speed,
> something from the rear tends to make an intermitant whining noise (like gears
> in a gearbox, but it's definitely NOT that!).With the clutch disengaged, the
> noise disappears.  The car only has 34,000 genuine miles, so I really don't
> see how there could be a diff. problem, but I could be wrong!  I'm inclined to
> think it's a diff. problem, because if it were anything else, the noise would
> be evident on decel., regardless of whether or not the clutch was disengaged.
> I don't know how to describe the noise.  It is, I think, most definitely from
> the diff, but I know the diff is noisy in the spitfire.  What is considered
> normal?  It's not so loud as to not be able to talk over it, but it sure is
> annoying after a while, top up!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Brian Furgalus
>
> (BTW- This list is the greatest thing since sliced bread!  I happily read
> people's stories.  They're fun!)

Brian,

Not sure I know which position the clutch is in when it is
disengaged, but if you mean when you are "coasting" the noise
goes away, then it may be that there is a slight misalignment
in the diff. The diff uses different faces of the ring and
pinion gears when it is coasting or under load. It is more
noticeable since there is a minimum of insulation between you
and the diff, as well as the close proximity.

If by disengaged, you mean when you step on the clutch, it may
very well be a bad throw-out bearing.

As Patrick has said, it could be the u-joints, but that is
generally more of a clunking noise than a whine.

Cheers,
--
Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net