Re: Rear hubs

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear hubs
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:05:40 -0500
>>At 10:14 AM 1/7/99, Patrick wrote:
>>>Do you have to pull this to replace the rear
>>>bearings?  Where can you obtain one of these tools, Can a machine shop do
>>>this work for you?  What does TSSC stand for?  Thanks again.

Patrick and List,

TSSC is the Triumph Sports Six Club in England.

 http://www.tssc-hq.demon.co.uk/TSSCN.html

They have a reproduction of the puller tool that they sell.

Last winter, Ross Vincenti covered the subject of the rear flanges and
bearing housings (hubs) as follows:

+++++++

With respect to the rears, well, errh, that's a bit more tricky.  The hub
has to be removed to get to the trunnion [bearing housing/hub] in which the
bearings sit.  The
hub is a press fit with a woodruff key.  The hub requires many TONS of
pressure to pull it off.  Triumph used to make a "Churchill" tool for this
job - but it is damn near impossible to find in the U.S., and expensive to
buy and ship from the UK for one bearing job.  Some of the list members
have fabricated their own tool for removing the rear hub - ask them for
assistance.  I used an ox-acet torch, a gigantic gear puller, sweat and
cursing to remove mine - one popped free after 15 minutes or so, the other
got so hot it warped and is now a paper weight.  Some have had success
taking the hubs to a machine shop specializing in LBCs.  I personally would
avoid the local TRAK Auto Supply or Pep Boys - they may trash the hubs
which are VERY expensive to replace.  When (if) you get the hubs off and
replace the bearings, I would not recommend anti-sieze as some listers
recommended on prior occasions.  The whole point of the press fit is that
it is based on a friction fit.  If there is not enough friction the little
woodruff key takes on more stress than it was designed for.

++++++++

So there you have it in a nutshell.  Use the correct tool, or risk damaging
the axle.

If anyone wants a JPG of the flange puller in action, email me directly, I
have a picture.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire