Re: bench bleeding confusion

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, carbuff@nac.net
Subject: Re: bench bleeding confusion
From: KEVIN EDDINS <EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:40:32 -0600
AHA!  I think that explains it!  I was thinking that the horizontal position
was for the reservoir, not the cylinder.

For everyone that cares:  The MC looked pretty dirty with rust and I
couldn't think of anything else that it could be, so I decided to get a rebuild
kit.  It can't hurt (unless I do it wrong).

This brake thing has been a pain in the tush!  It should have never taken
this long nor cost this much in brake fluid.  The upside is that I have finally
adjusted the rear brakes and the hand brake; after four years of avoiding
it.  Much easier than I thought.

QUESTION:  Should the fluid freely leak from the bleed nipple when
loosened?  It was previously and I always thought that it seemed
strange.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Kevin

>>> Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net> 01/14/99 02:30pm >>>
I alway though that you bench bleed so that you can ensure there no air
bubbles in the the nooks and crannies of the assembly.   So the best
orientation for the bench bleed is horizontal (as opposed to the angled
way
it is mounted in the car.)  To be sure you could give it a few stokes in
each position.

(Not upside-down, though.)   :)

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO