Re: BTU rating of electric garge heaters?!?!

To: dterrick@pangea.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BTU rating of electric garge heaters?!?!
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:11:24 EST
Dave,

I'm with you on the cold front, man.  It's been cold here in Wisconsin, as
well.  With the work I'm planning for the GT6, I was looking for a heater for
my garage.  I couldn't locate the largish portable ceramic heater that a
friend described to me, so I picked up a little Diskfurnace II (can't remember
the manufacturer, but it started with a "P", I think).  1500 watts and 5200
BTUs.  I figured if it didn't work out for the garage, I could use it in the
basement work area.  Yes, I bought a fire extinguisher at the same time.  The
garage is 10x20 or so, two-course brick construction with air space between
(1934, like the house) and no insulation at all in the roof.

The little heater ran for a week solid before it started to make a dent in the
cold, but damned if the little bugger didn't eventually take the chill off in
there.  It got to where you couldn't hardly see your breath any more.  I'll be
looking for something a little larger, but something around 10,000 or 12,000
BTUs should do the trick for me, especially if I insulate the garage door and
the roof.  I'd bet the same would work out for you, given your better
insulation, as long as you're not looking for tropical warmth.

Scott Barr
ScottBarr8@aol.com
72 GT6