Re: brakes, brakes, brakes

To: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brakes, brakes, brakes
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 06:17:32 -0800
>Last night I could feel a good pressure with a high pedal.  The problem is
>that if I pressed moderately hard the pedal would still travel to the floor.
If I remember correctly you mentioned that you had either rebuilt or
replaced the master cylinder.  Unfortunately, this symptom is classic
master cylinder failure, and what you have is fluid leaking internally,
past the seals.  When you push the pedal assy hard or fast enough, then the
seals press and expand enough against the bore to seal.  If rebuilt, one or
more of the seals is or has been damaged or possibly the wrong kit/seals
were installed (not necessarily your fault), the bore was not true or was
pitted/scored. If new, then it could have been sitting on a shelf for 20
years as NOS, in which case the seals could be bad just from age - This
could be why you are having so much trouble bleeding the system, and
repairing the master cylinder would be my first, albeit not my happiest
course of action given the above moderate pedal action.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)