Electric fan

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric fan
From: "Paul Fjelstad" <fjelstad@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:47:57 -0800
I've been lurking here for a few months, and I'm greatly impressed with
the tremendous knowledge of the lists' participants. Most of the
questions I have about my (relatively new) Spitfire are so basic, I'm
embarrassed to ask. Nevertheless, I'm going to toss one out and hope for
the best ...

The fan on my 80 Spit never seems to run. My understanding is that it
should come on at some point, when the engine reaches a certain
temperature. I'm guessing that there must be a temperature sensor that's
bad, or maybe the fan motor itself is broken, or maybe there's something
else. This time of year, it's cool enough that I perhaps don't need the
cooling effect, but when the weather heats up, I suspect that I should
have a working fan!

I've tried to find help in the Haynes and Workshop manuals, but I
haven't found a discussion of this that seems applicable and helpful
(and simple). Can anyone point me to the right place, or perhaps provide
some direct suggestions? Thanks!

Paul Fjelstad
1980 Triumph Spitfire
Kitsap County, Washington