RE: petrol

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, vafred@erols.com
Subject: RE: petrol
From: KEVIN EDDINS <EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:38:23 -0600
I have my dad here and he just retired from 30 years at Chevron refinery
so lets ask him.

Me: So dad, how is does petrol get shipped with three different levels of
octane?
Dad: Each truck has three or four (diesel) different tanks that separate
the octane levels.
Me:  Is the octane separated at the refinery?
Dad:  Yes.  And be sure that they go through great pains to not give you
any more octane than what is specified.
Me:  Is the octane an additive or is it cracked from the crude?
Dad:  It is an additive that is blended with the petrol
Me:  What about the additives, like techron...?
Dad:  That is added by the driver of the truck.  It has to be, since shell,
exxon, etc. generally gets their gas from the local refinery.

So that does it with the interview with dad.  He'll be here for a few more
days, so get those questions here quickly.  He's a smart guy.

Kevin

>>> fred thomas <vafred@erols.com> 01/27/99 08:53pm >>>
anybody have any idea how petrol gets from the refinery to your local
station, and then do they get the three different varieties, to your car
??
How is reg., hi-test & premium manufactured, lets try this on for a few
days, should be interesting.