Re: petrol

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: petrol
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:40:43
Bob, don't laugh, you are actually not too far off how it use to be.  Gas
would be stored in large tanks that were ventilated to the outside air.
After a tank had been sitting for a period of time it started going bad.
The reason was the gas was evaporating and leaving behind the chemicals
that it was treated with,  therefore screwing up the required ratios.  Fuel
dealers (I guess that is what you call them) would sell the older gas to
the cheap or discount stations.  That is why you could get a wide variety
in quality of gas from one day to another.  Now, to my understanding, tanks
no longer vent to the outside, as they have expansion tanks built to them,
which places the gas back into the tank instead of releasing it to the
outside.

Hope I helped
Patrick

Patrick Bowen