Re: RAF Spitfire Bonnet Badge

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RAF Spitfire Bonnet Badge
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:18:33 -0500 ()
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Laura G. wrote:

> I had been told that the RAF badge had something to do with it being an
> anniversary spit. And there was a thread on it last year-would whoever
> explained it last year please come forward?

I've not heard that explanation before. If it were any sort of "milestone"
anniversary, it would have to have been one for the airplane. And why
would that be noted only in North America? As for the car, it was only in
its eighth model year for 1970.

Interestingly, though, I think (can't be sure at the moment) that both the
RAF badge and the wheel covers sported by North American 1970 Spitfires
were both sourced in the UK, unlike the wheel covers for the North
American 1969 Spitfire, or the optional "Air-Flow" wheel covers available
before then.

--Andy