Re: Roadster Factory gouging

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>, <ScottBarr8@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Roadster Factory gouging
From: "Richard Bonilla" <richard@polymold.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:30:31 -0700
richard here, cost accountant (79' spit / colorado).

we are getting into an area of interest to me called cost accounting and
overhead
absorption. many companies do include in their pricing structure
of both goods (ie: the part) and services (ie: shipping & handling)
many types of costs (as well as a profit % of course). some direct costs
(ie: labor and parts), sometimes indirect costs (insurance, benefits,
property taxes, fuel for the company jet, company picnic expenses).

the one to keep in mind is that if a company is going to post a profit,
ALL costs must be covered first. so look at the amounts and rates of
indirect costs a company is incurring, in order to judge the justification
of the mark up and profit margins in their products and services.

shipping is a direct charge, we know it took say 1-2$ in actual shipping
costs. handling is where the fun starts, as a cost accountant could
make a case of say, .5 hrs of overall labor and a small share of overhead
costs,
in order to keep the business running...we see the same situation in
medical care, where two tynol and a cup of water gets billed as 15$
on the insurance forms...some $ for the cup and two pills, a hell of a
lot more $ to cover the overhead of all of the paperwork and other
expenses, in order to run a hospital...my .02 opinion...