Re: Curious about engine parts.....

To: "'Spitfire List'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Curious about engine parts.....
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 03:55:44 -0700 (PDT)

hey dean.  no, you're not crazy.  my car had one of those
pipes.  the water lines for the heater were fed through one
pipe that went thru the inlet manifold, and the other went
from the back of the water pump housing, under the exhaust
manifold and tiped up toward the top of the head, like you
described.  i have seen on other spits, the heater return
going diredtly into the cylinder head rather than into a
pipe to the back of the water pump housing.

--- Dean  Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk> wrote:

> Good Morning List!
>
> This morning I received (after only two months of
> waiting!) my catalogue
> from John Kipping Triumph Spares, and noticed something
> rather odd.
>
> On my '77 Spitfire 1500 (UK spec), I have a metal water
> pipe coming out
> the back of the water pump.  This pipe runs along the
> side of the
> engine, underneath the manifold, and feeds into the
> heater.  It is
> bolted onto the back of the cylinder head by one of the
> manifold bolts.
>
> The catalogue lists this part (page 13, item 8, in case
> anyone else is
> lucky enough to have the same catalogue).  It is listed
> as part of the
> "water return under manifold with heater fitted" system,
> and called a
> "pipe, stainless", but it is only listed for a Vitesse or
> GT6 I or II,
> or a III if used in conjunction with another part.  No
> mention of a
> Spitfire at all.
>
> Does anyone else have a similar attachement on their car?
>  Is it
> possible that a PO has fitted an incorrect water pump (or
> anything else)
> to my car?  Is this likely to cause any other quirks?
> Just
> curious........
>
> Dean Dashwood
> '77 Spit 1500 (at least, I think that's what it is!)

===
nikolai jaremka
72 spitfire mkIV
east aurora, new york