Curious about engine parts.....

To: "'Spitfire List'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Curious about engine parts.....
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:13:06 +0100
Good Morning List!

This morning I received (after only two months of waiting!) my catalogue
from John Kipping Triumph Spares, and noticed something rather odd.

On my '77 Spitfire 1500 (UK spec), I have a metal water pipe coming out
the back of the water pump.  This pipe runs along the side of the
engine, underneath the manifold, and feeds into the heater.  It is
bolted onto the back of the cylinder head by one of the manifold bolts.

The catalogue lists this part (page 13, item 8, in case anyone else is
lucky enough to have the same catalogue).  It is listed as part of the
"water return under manifold with heater fitted" system, and called a
"pipe, stainless", but it is only listed for a Vitesse or GT6 I or II,
or a III if used in conjunction with another part.  No mention of a
Spitfire at all.

Does anyone else have a similar attachement on their car?  Is it
possible that a PO has fitted an incorrect water pump (or anything else)
to my car?  Is this likely to cause any other quirks?  Just
curious........

Dean Dashwood
'77 Spit 1500 (at least, I think that's what it is!)