Re: FW: PRICE OF GAS

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: FW: PRICE OF GAS
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:14:47
Scott, Prices don't drop immediately on the announcement of a price cut
because the oil companies enjoy their profit.  They take advantage of the
fact that most people do not know the market and will assume their is still
a shortage.  Have you ever seen gas drop from $1.69 to $1.10 overnight,
nope, they will get out of you what the will.  To argue their side, prices
when dropped are not done instantly and the threat of the price jumping
back up is there - remember they are not concerned with how much they
currently pay but how much they will have to pay.  As for the taxes,
welcome to Uncle Sams world.  I know we need them, and they do a lot of
good, but I believe they are used irresponsibly and innefficiently.  BTY
the .42 in tax is not all for roads,  these taxes are quite often used for
EPA funds, and other government slush funds, quite often taking up as much
as half the taxed amount.   Again, I didn't say I liked it, just living
with it.

Patrick

>patrick,
>
>if that's the case, why don't prices drop immediately on announcement of a
>price cut?  and I really can live with the refinery, reseller's cuts,
>etc., that's what makes our economy work.  but paying almost as much in
>taxes as we do for the crude?  far too much.  and lest I sound like like
>somebody about to hole up with bessie, his pet ak-47 and a rocket
>launcher, let me say I don't have any problem paying taxes, quite the
>contrary, they're a necessity.  but we pay far too much in taxes, and we
>see too little for them.  and still they're going up.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL