Dirty engine rebuild?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Dirty engine rebuild?
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:22:18
Last week I towed a '79 spitfire home.  It has an engine that has been
stripped down and and has been sitting a couple years. (possibly as many as
seven)  The head is off (currently at the machine shop being rebuilt) It
had a dropped valve, broken rocker, and bent pushrod.  What I really need
to decide is how deep should I get into the engine.  Its current condition
is as follows.  59k presumed actual miles, no ledge on the top of the
cylinder bore to speak of, sitting with the head off, distributor out, oil
filter off, and no intake or exaust manifolds.  it would appear that
someone sprayed it down with white lithium grease way back when to protect
it.  Currently has alot of dirt, leaves, and spider webs all over it,
cylinders have just the slightest hint of rust forming, pistons in good
shape, cam appears good (might replace it anyhow) needs new lifters, no
idea if there is oil in pan or not, coolant lines are disconnected so I
don't know what has crawled inside.  My overview of the engine is it really
needs cleaned but would otherwise run well.  I am not too interested in
pulling pistons or the crank, just trying to avoid trouble with that and I
need to keep my cost real low (maybe a couple hundred bucks).  Thought
about having it tanked and cleaned at a machine shop, but I would have to
pull everything wouldn't I, how much does this usually cost?  What is the
best recommendations from the list.  Thanks.

Patrick

BTY has anyone ever tried the header wrap kits, I think VB sells them as
well as the local parts guys, are they worth the $20 to $30.
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL