RE: idle increase

To: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: idle increase
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:12:28 -0700
The idle on Spitfire started doing that many years ago.  However, after the
car was turned off for a while (overnight) the idle would be OK upon
startup.  What I discovered was that the tank was no longer being vented
resulting in a vacuum building up inside.  The longer the trip, the greater
the vacuum.  (I found this out one day when I popped the gas cap and was
nearly sucked inside the tank by the vacuum!!)   The fuel pump would have to
"fight" against this vacuum for the fuel.  My "idle" would oftentimes be
well over 2000 RPM, and there was many a day that I ran with the gas cap
released to avoid this.  Oh yeah, it IS on my list of things to fix during
the restoration project!

Reid '79 Spitfire