Re: The spitfire in triumph world questions

To: James Carpenter <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: The spitfire in triumph world questions
From: richard jackson <richard.jackson@northampton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:58:27 +0100

Morning,

> I was looking at the late UK Spitfire 1500 in Triumph world mag.  I have
> some questions some of you with UK spitfires may be able to answer.
>
> If you look at the carburettors specifically the floats.  There is the usual
> fuel lines connected, but there are also green pipes running from what I
> presume is a vent connection along to the radiator upright, then down (on
> the engine side, wheel side of the side valance) I then can't see where they
> go.  There is not enough room for a carbon canister, so what do they goto?

These are simple vents, they just vent into the atmosphere, good ol' UK emission
control eh!!! :-)

> I have both the pipe feed vent type float chamber lids and the bent bit of
> metal into air type for my car.  It may be that I have problems because I
> use the bent metal type, and I will run better with the pipe type to give
> the correct pressure loading to the float chamber.
>
> Above the trim panels on the doors in my car there is a painted area, but on
> this car this area appears to be leatherette padded.  Does this apply to a
> UK 79?

Nope, this was standard fit on all MkIV's and 1500's, it's a vacuum moulded(I
think) bit of plastic that often gets thrown in the bin as it tears easily and
then cuts your arm(guess how I know?? :-))

Cheers

Rich