Re: Distributor question - Crane System

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor question - Crane System
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:07:41 -0700
Rick,
The Crane system does not use the lobes to trip the electronic pulses to
fire the plugs.  Rather, it uses an optical trigger employing an
emitter, sensor and a plastic shutter.  The shutter fits over the lobes
to hold it in place ant the emitter sends a light beam which is broken
by the shutter until the opening is encountered.  The light pulse is
sensed by the sensor and sends the data to the amplifier which then
fires the coil and fires the plugs through the rotor.

So, as long as the lobes will hold the shutter intact, it should work.

Regards,
Joe

Rick Gregory wrote:

> I'm getting ready to purchase the Crane Cams
> electronic conversion ignition for my Spit. I have a
> '77, but the distributor is Lucas-point type. I
> believe it came off a '74.
>
> Anyway, I'm currently experiencing ignition woes I
> hope the new system will remedy. But one question...
>
> My distributor appears worn. One of the lobes on the
> shaft is noticably more worn than the others. And the
> point gap seems to close weekly. Will my worn
> distributor work okay with the new Crane System? Can I
> put new bushings into the distributor to remove the
> play? What have you guys done in this situation? Any
> success stories?
>
> Thanks as always.
> --Rick
>
> ===