Year? and wheel cylinder woes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Year? and wheel cylinder woes
From: "Keith Burns" <kayak_keith@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:55:28 PDT
Hi,
Two problems maybe related.
Ordered wheel cylinders for my 71 Mk IV.
The replacements looked similiar, but the piston is wider. So I
install them and can not get the brake drums on. Checked the adjuster,
the brake lining orientation and compare the new brake pads with the
old. Then I notice that the old wheel cylinder when fully compressed
is about an 1/8 of an inch (maybe  3 milimeters)shorter then the new.
Ah ha! So that is why the brake drums won't go on.
Check a catalogue and notice that the wheel cylinders for spitfires
change in 71 and again in 75. Also notice that the brake pads,
adjusters, and drums all seem to be the same for all years So if they
only change the cylinders how come mine don't fit?
Sooooo what is my problem?
WHat year is my car really? On the frame their is a production date of
October 70. Is my car really a 70?
Also how can I make these cylinders work since I installed them I
can't return them? Can I just grind 1/16 of an inch off of the flatt
contact point on the brake pads?
Is their something I am missing as to why this is not going together?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks all,
Keith
With a spitfire who's year is currently a mystery