Strange Engine Noise

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange Engine Noise
From: Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:19:02 -0400
>  Can anyone offer any ideas on this, please?

>   Background: I have rebuilt my 1977 Spitfire in the last 3 years.  I didn't
do
>   ANYTHING to the engine as it ran well when the car was in shambles, so I
just
>   went with it.  I drove it all last year for ~1000 miles.

< snip >

In case anyone remembered this thread...it turned out to be the Viscous Coupling
fan clutch thing which was causing all the noise (which WAS one of the suggested
answers (from Joe Curry, I think)).

So...it and the waterpump come out.  Which is maybe ok since the water pump is
leaking, also.  I replaced the water pump when I first got the car (1995) but
never drove it any appreciable distance until last year for 1000 miles.

Why would a water pump die after only 1000 miles?  If it sits for too long, does
it have a tendency to break down it's seals?

-John