re: Strange Engine Noise

To: SPITFIRES <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Strange Engine Noise
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:36:14 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
>In case anyone remembered this thread...it turned out to be the Viscous
Coupling
fan clutch thing which was causing all the noise (which WAS one of the
suggested
answers (from Joe Curry, I think)).

So...it and the waterpump come out.  Which is maybe ok since the water pump
is
leaking, also.  I replaced the water pump when I first got the car (1995)
but
never drove it any appreciable distance until last year for 1000 miles.

Why would a water pump die after only 1000 miles?  If it sits for too long,
does
it have a tendency to break down it's seals?

-John<

>>> the Viscous Coupling fan clutch thing which was causing all the noise

I'm not sure but that is a hint to me.   noise = vibration      vibration
will cause seals to go quickly.
Thats the first thing I would consider.

the arthur