RE: What is joy

To: Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What is joy
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:46:46 -0400 ()
On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

> Speaking of "Caddies", guess who is going big time racing... Cadillac!  I've
> seen their Le Mans entry for next year... it looks, well, interesting.  A
> Cadillac prototype race car, somehow that just doesn't sound right.

Well, it HAS been about 50 years since Cadillac last appeared there
(courtesy Briggs Cunningham). There was a Caddy with an aerodymanic body,
a near-stock Coupe de Ville, and a Cad-powered Allard. All did remarkably
well.

Kinda nice to see this again. Perhaps Lincoln will now take up the race
course challenge? Beats the heck out of seeing Cadillac or Lincoln badges
on SUV's! :-)

=====

Meanwhile, back at the original subject (What is joy), I've always enjoyed
my (and others') Spitfires, stock or otherwise, because they felt more
like comfortable shoes that one wore. With that size car, it feels more
like the car is an extension of my own self. Anything bigger (even TR
size), no matter how much fun to drive, just isn't the same. For me,
anyway. YMMV....

But even a stock low-compression, 48 hp '72 1296 never felt sluggish or
less than completely willing to me. But then 0-60 has never been my
"thing"!

--Andy