Colortune Difficulties

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Colortune Difficulties
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:19:29 -0400
Hello all,

My Spit has been idling sort of rough ('72 with stock Stromberg),
so I tried to use a recently-purchased Colortune to set it right.

I found that the flame was ALWAYS yellow, no matter how much I
adjusted the mixture.

I tried both lifting and pushing down the carb piston until it wouldn't run any
more,
and the flame stayed yellow.  (So I know the problem is not a broken needle
adjustor
mechanism).

When I pull a plug, even after several minutes of idling, it always has
a textbook-perfect light grey deposit.

I tried this on two different cylinders, with the exact same result.

Apart from the somewhat rough idle, the car runs fine, and always starts right
up, even in the middle of winter.

So, does a Colortune REALLY work?

I am tempted go spend more $$$ fore a real CO meter, but I hate throwing
good money after bad.  Any advice?

Doug Braun
'72 Spit