Re: Aftermarket Ignition

To: Paul Grafelman <pdgrafelman@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu>
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Ignition
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 07:12:50 -0700
Paul,
The main difference between the Pertronix and the Crane (aside from the price
and the remote box) is the way they work.

The Pertronix uses a magnetic pickup whereas the Crane uses an optical one.
Either of these technologies work fine.  I have had a Crane on Huxley the spit
for three years and can't find any fault with how it performs.  But the
adjustments and fit of the shutter and emitter pair leave something to be
desired.  Once it is finally installed and secure, it does work flawlessly.

I have heard others rave about the performance of the Pertronix and I am sure it
does perform up to its reputation, but if you have a Delco Distributor, the
adapter kit makes the installation significantly more expensive than the Crane.

My 2 cents worth!

Joe