RE: "Tire in a can" (was: RE: Suggested boot tools?)

To: "'Andrew Holmes'" <holmes_law@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: "Tire in a can" (was: RE: Suggested boot tools?)
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:18:02 -0400
OK, the deal with this stuff is it works wonders.  You do not normally want
to use it unless you need it, I would not recommend putting it in a tire
"just in case".  Yes you can still get the tire repaired, and it does no
damage to the tire.  The kicker is this, it is highly explosive.  This is
not a worry on a normal street car, perhaps on a high performance race car.
The place where this gets to be a problem is the next time you have your
tires changed and they put it on the rack to break the bead, this can cause
an explosion, and kill or mame the tire guy.  While the occurences of this
happening are really low, it still happens enough to be a concern.  If you
use it, you need to tell the tire shop, and the tire is supposed to be
filled and emptied three times to remove it.

No, I have never known of it affecting wheel balance but I have never gone
looking either.

Patrick Bowen