Spitfire accident - non lbc

To: "NASS" <nass@egroups.com>, "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire accident - non lbc
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 23:47:18 +0100
Those of you OTOSOTP (USA) may not have heard but there was a crash here
yesterday of a Spitfire at Goodwood airfield. It was one of only 3 known 2
seater conversions and both pilots were killed.

It registered particularly as I've seen it flying myself when I was at
Goodwood trying to pluck up the courage myself to learn to fly. In the end I
went to a different airfield (& got 9 hrs under my belt before funds ran
short) but my dream was always to have a flight in that particular Spitfire.
The last I heard it was running at something like £2000 an hour, if not more
so I never seriously expected that ever to happen (the closest I was ever
likely to come to that was when I once sat in the cockpit of a Spitfire in
an aviation museum) but because of those personal connections it was more of
a shock to hear about it & to see the pictures of it upside down and in
pieces on the airfield.

Sorry this isn't a cheery snippet of news, but, I know that to some listers
the connection between the aircraft & our cars is an important one so I just
thought I'd pass the news along.

Suzie