Re: Spitfire accident - non lbc

To: "NASS" <nass@egroups.com>, "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire accident - non lbc
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:29:47 +0100
I have to say, the time I actually got to sit in a Spitfire cockpit, that it
did rather swamp me - but then I'm not the tallest of people. With my lack
of height I wouldn't have made a very good Spit pilot, I couldn't see over
the cowling at all.

Some of the bigger guys who got in were struggling though and that was just
being dressed lightly, no battledress, flying jacket or parachute. There
were also similarities to our cars in the cockpit when I noticed all the
cables & wires - it did seem put together with 'string & sealing wax' - a
few more dials though.

Those early aviators really were something though. The Spitfire may have
been a basic design but just imagine going up in something like an Avro or
De Havilland bi-plane - literally made of wood & wire. Those really were
pioneers.

I am proud to own & drive a car that carries with it, more than just the
name of the Spitfire aircraft, but what seems to me to be the spirit of it
too.

Suzie

PS. Hood down today for the hour long journey to & from work, I'm quite
amazed at myself - pretty damn cold though, 40~F, my heater certainly isn't
working at optimum.

Terrence wrote:

[snip]
As I have been
reading, I am struck by the similar "relationship" between the pilots and
their aircraft and the wingless Spits and their drivers.  Suffice to say it
has to do with the responsiveness and the fit/feel of the craft.  The
handling characteristics of the aircraft and the car, relative to their
'peer vehicles seem to be alike, ie.  not the fastest with the biggest guns,
but the best integration of operator and machine, thereby giving great
powers to 'fly'.   These similarities were not always positive either.  One
US pilot who was assigned a Spit to fly, liked many of the qualities, but
complained that the cockpit was somewhat small for him.  I can sympathize
with that observation, as I think that is my only complaint regarding the
design.