Collector Plates

To: "Spitfires Listserv" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Collector Plates
From: "John & Judy Tones" <jtones@home.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:20:34 -0700
OK Guys - slow down !!  Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining
about our system of qualifying for these plates but rather trying to get as
much info about the originality of my cars so that I can qualify the first
time round.
The gov't run licence and insurance group instigated the collector plate
rules with, and I quote from their pamphlet, the following idea -"The
Collector Vehicle program was created to allow car enthusiasts to enjoy a
pleasure drive, in addition to driving their vehicles in events such as
parades and club activities. Collector vehicles should not be used for
everyday general transportation. Since most have a high value and are
maintained in excellect condition, their owners are expected to drive them
infrequently, thereby reducing exposure to the risk of a crash."  They then
go on to explain the much reduced policy costs for vehicles having these
plates etc.
In addition there are Antique plates for cars over 30 years old and which
the owner does not want to drive except in events or to/from a service
facility.
The comment re mileage was mine, in otherwords if you have collector plates
here in B.C. you are expected to not use the car everyday and this decision
is rewarded by a much reduced insurance cost.
As I said in a previous note, I got the wrong person on the phone last fall
and was not impressed with the plan but then this week I called the office
and got a lady who was very helpful, knew what our cars were and how they
fitted into the scheme of the plan.
Bottom line is that if your car is stock and in good shape, you do not want
it as a daily driver, but you do want to go for an afternoon spin
occasionally, you do not have to have a very expensive insurance policy on
it and you can afford to have it for pleasure.
Another, what I think is a good idea, is that you can have several cars
qualified for the colloctor plate and switch the plates from car to car and
still have all of them fully insured.
Well I can't think of much else to explain the plan but it is definately gea
red to keep the Pintos of the world from qualifying.
Hope that answers your questions Terrance.
John Tones, Victoria B.C. (18 degrees C this AM)