RE: GT6 Targa

To: "'Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou'" <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>,
Subject: RE: GT6 Targa
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:12:49 -0400
The gas tank is attached by I believe 8 bolts to sheet metal.  It is not
designed to be structural and any additional structural value it might have
would be intrensic.  There is no way you would want to place a fuel tank in
the position of accepting body stress as that would compromise its
integrity.  Hence the reason there is almost a 2 inch gap between it and
other sheet metal the entire way around it.

The Spitfire/GT-6 gets an incredible amount of its rigidity fromt eh very
strong backbone frame it has.  Added to that the strong triple piece sills.

That is where your strength comes from.  Not the gas tank.

Patrick Bowen