Re: Convertible Top

To: Ken C <kenwc@pacbell.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Convertible Top
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:38:06 -0400
I did a Robbins on my '72 recently.  It worked out well,
but I could have easily blown it.  I followed
the directions in the Porter/Williams "Spitfire, GT6
(et al.) Guide to Purchase and DIY Restoration" book.

Some tips:

1: Get it TIGHT.
2: See how the old one was put on.  Take notes or pictures as you remove it.
3: Take advantage of the opportunity to repaint and fix up the frame.
4: I think it is better to fit the back/side snaps after you fit the middle
part of the
    back and the front.
5: Spend the $19.95 and get a new rubber header seal.
6: Use the yellow glue (I used Permatex "Super" Weatherstrip Adhesive.  The
Permatex
    non-Super weatherstrip adhesive is not good enough.)
7: Do when the temp is at least 70 degrees, but not really hot.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit