RE: 1147 Pistons

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, "'Flinthoof Ponypal'" <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Subject: RE: 1147 Pistons
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:28:59 -0400
Back in the mid '70's I had a Mark III 1296 rebuilt.  After he had torn down
the engine, the rebuilder asked me if it ran before I brought it in.  I said
yes, it ran fairly well, Blew a little oil, but since I had the rest of the
car torn apart I thought I'd just do the engine.  He then handed me one of
the old pistons.  On the side, there was a big gouge about the size of a
dime and a section of the some of the rings was missing!  We bored it out a
little and rebuilt it with oversized pistons.  Ran great.  Makes me wonder
what my current Spit pistons look like?

Terrence N. Banbury
1967 SPITFIRE MK III
1988 Honda Accord lX