Seafoam

To: "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seafoam
From: "Dummer, Dan" <Dan.Dummer@BestBuy.Com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:58:46 -0500
List,

Could I get opinions/caveats on using "Seafoam" to clean engine internals.
Does it work ?  Is it bad for the engine ?  Is there something better ?
The reason I ask is that I have a Spit that has sat un-running and un-cared
for, for a long time.  (it didn't run for the PO, and I have no idea how its
been idle).    As part of a "get it running" project, I'd like to get the
engine internals as clean as I can without a teardown.    The parts jockey's
at my local parts store recommended putting Seafoam" in both the crank case,
and dumping a can of it in the gas as well.   But..... since they were
surprised to hear the Triumph made cars instead of motorcycles, I'm taking
all of their recommendations with a grain of salt.

On a related topic, as part of my "get it running" project, I did a
compression check, and came up with 122 PSI in cylinders 2 thru 4, but only
98 in cylinder 1.  Still within tolerable range, but doesn't fill me with
warm fuzzies.    I was going to try to find a chemical product of some sort
to see if I can dislodge any carbon that may have built up and see if that
fixes it.   Can anybody recommend one ?   If it can't be fixed chemically,
how far can I push it before I have to start thinking about new valves/rings
and other more expensive fixes ?

Cheers,
dan.dummer@bestbuy.com