Starters was Re: Car running again!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Starters was Re: Car running again!
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 22:14:16 EDT
In a message dated 4/29/00 9:51:17 AM EST, Terry Thompson writes:

> I've gone through three starters in 3 years.<snip> The second had a
> dead-spot (you had to turn the motor by hand till you got to a non-dead
> spot)

This was timely.  My starter failed yesterday.  It happened right after I
changed the oil and I had to "pop the clutch" to get started, something
that I was not too keen about after draining the oil and not having any
initial oil pressure.  I never thought to check for a dead spot, but after
reading your post, I turned the starter a bit manually and it worked fine
after that.  While this is not a permanent solution, it does give me some
time to make the necessary repairs.  Thanks Terry for your unintended,
but very helpful solution!

Just wondering; is it more likely to end up on that dead spot so you
have to fiddle under the hood when it's raining and you're wearing
good clothes? Yeah, I thought so! 8-)

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire