Re: Seat foams

To: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat foams
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:09:03 +0300
I sort of doubt that more than one company in the world has gone
through the trouble of making tooling for replacement Spit seat foams.
In other works, the foams probably all come from the same place.

Newton Commercial in the UK appears to make them.  SpitBits' catalog lists the
exact same part numbers as Newton, so I assume that SpitBits
imports them from Newton.

It's sort of a pity that so many parts are OEM-like instead of explicitly
branded.  It makes it hard to know if your are going to get junk or good stuff.
Even when I got a Robbins top, there was nothing on the top or in the
instructions
that identified the maker...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

P.S.: On the subject of foam quality:  The original foams used
different materials for different parts of the seat, and they did not have the
same durability.  On my '72 seats, the foam at the front of the seat (under
your thighs) still seems to have the original shape and resiliency,
but the foam up the sides of the seat backs has long since disintegrated,
and constantly showers down little bits of gummy rubber over
the seat tracks and the floor.