FW: Gaining confidence / moral dilemma

To: SPIT mail list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Gaining confidence / moral dilemma
From: Philip Warburton <cplimey@home.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 23:00:50 -0700
FWIW ...

I can understand your glee and joy at taking curves and bends at speeds
higher than recommended because you have a car that can perform those feats
(given you know how to "drive" your LBC) . It is something that the North
American cars cannot handle as they are not built with the same low centre
of gravity for the most part and thus the stability and handling suffer.

However ....

I don't put my car through those paces beacause

1) It is a 25 year old car and I like to treat it with respect. You never
know (unless it is ALL new and replaced) where the weak points in the car
are. I suppose you can liken it to people as they age. Different parts wear
out quicker than others, but (for example) there is still nothing like
original equipment knees compared to surgically implanted ones to replace
the worn out joints ... ask my Dad!!
2) I would rather have my car working at a slower speed for many years than
push it to it's limit  .. and die sooner.

Just MHO

Cheers,

Philip
1975 Spitfire 1500 - Blue