Re: Trans / od

To: Ken C <sdspitfire@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Trans / od
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:05:44 -0700
Well yes and no.  If you mean unbolt on and replace it with another without
doing anything else no.  But one can replace all the necessary bits and
achieve the desired result.  The single rail with J type I believe (don't
quote me on this, I haven't actually measured it) is slightly longer
overall, so a drive shaft swap or shortening would also be required.  Plus
the mounting bracket for the rear of the tranny would be different as the
holes are in a slightly different location further back, so a swap of these
would be required and depending upon the year specific plates would be
needed.  or one made.  Finally, the real clincher, the clutch would have to
be replaced as all the single rail trannys have a 20 spline 7-1/4 dia
clutch, the 73-74 Spitfires have a 7-1/4 dia clutch but with 10 splines,
and finally the 72 and earlier have a huge 6-1/2 inch clutch with ten
splines -
That being said, I have a three rail "J" type in my GT6 and even that
required some hard to find bits, and a few I had to make :-)
>Are the 3-rail trans / D-type overdrive assembly and the single-rail trans /
>J-type od assembly physically interchangeable ? In other words, if one
>assembly is removed from the car, can the other be installed in place

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)