RE: Oil leak in diff -- what to do about it.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil leak in diff -- what to do about it.
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:01:29 -0400
Jeff, Bad news my friend - but not too bad.  Your front pinion seal is shot
(I have had to fix this one many times).  Do not try tightening the bolts
you will just be wasting your energy, it has nothing to do with your leak.
  You can fix this in the car, it is a lot easier to do out of the car,
however,  I am not sure if it is worth the effort to remove it.  Your Haynes
manual has some pretty good instructions on how to do this.  I would allow a
good Saturday afternoon to do this.  The pinion seal is about $5 from any of
the usual suspects.  The hardest thing about this operation is the removal
of the old seal.  I would recommend a slide hammer or (as I have used a
couple times) a come-a-long attached to a series of metal screws in the face
of the seal (NOTE!!! When the seal goes using this method, taking off like a
bullet  and it hits your hand, do expect severe swelling, pain, and unusual
colors.  Ask me how I know).

Let me know if you need anymore help on this.