Re: Oil leak in diff -- what to do about it.

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil leak in diff -- what to do about it.
From: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:28:00 -0400
Hello Listers,

I have a couple of repair manuals and I have looked for a reference to that
mysterious 'vent' and could not find any.  Does anyone know if this 'vent' is
on a
78 Spit?  If it is, I'll take the passenger side rear wheel off and go
prospecting
until I find it. Perhaps cleaning it will take care of my little problem.

mike chmura

"R.D. Waid" wrote:

> Jeff,
> I replaced my pinion seal (a metal-leather sandwich) with a modern rubber seal
> from VB in 1997. I still had the leak until last week, when I found and
>cleared
> the mysterious top vent on the diff that I had always read about but had never
> found. The leak stopped like magic.(or the diff is empty... better check
>that! )
> Definitely try to clear that first (feels like a little bump on right side of
> the diff toward the back near or atop the casting that the through bolt goes
> through). If it works to stop the leak, it beats changing the seal. The stench
> of the aged gear oil in the diff stays with you for days.
>
> Bob Waid
> 71 Mark IV, FK4081L

 Michael Chmura
 Technical Services Manager
 University Information Systems
 University of Massachusetts, President's Office
 133 Whitmore Building
 Amherst, Massachusetts 01003
 Phone: 413-545-4673
 Fax:     413-545-3205