RE: MG Midget vs. Spitfire

To: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MG Midget vs. Spitfire
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:46:07 -0500
I don't have a midget, but I have it's predecessor and what it was badged
after, a 1961 Austin Healey Sprite MKII.  Definitely a different car than
the spit.  I personally like the Spitfire much better, but I have a love for
my sprite as well.  The spitfire is quick and, IMHO, handles much better,
but the sprite is definitely a crowd pleaser.   The sprite has a 948cc motor
and top speed is about 75 MPH (down hill, long straight away :), the
steering is "quicker", but it rides a lot rougher.  Of course the spit can
top 100 MPH, but the speed limit is still only 65 (except on long straight
cop-free highways)  The sprite is an LBC also, so of course you have to work
on it.  I'd say the Sprite is a little more reliable, BUT, I push the Spit a
lot harder, the sprite is a leisurely driver, where as the spitfire is a
"race car" :)  The spit has much more comfort, but that is probably do to
the 17 year age difference in the two cars, a lot changed in 17 years.  Heck
the spitfire even has roll up windows and a folding top, where as the sprite
is a side curtain vehicle.  I would expect you to get SEVERAL replies saying
the Midget/Sprite is worth a darn on this list, but ask the same question on
the Spridget list and you will get the spitfire is junk.  Right now on that
list they are arguing the merits of the midget 1500 (Spitfire engine) to the
Midgets with BMC 1275 engines.  Of course they say the 1275 is the better
engine.  But we *know* better!

They are both LBC's, they are both great cars, and I would rather drive
either than a Ford! (which I own as well)

Midgets/Sprites are cheap to buy just like our Spitfires.  I'd recommend
finding you one locally and comparing for yourself!!

Bill
Sprites and Spits