Re: MG Midget vs. Spitfire

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Midget vs. Spitfire
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:16:54 -0400
Visually, my Spitfire has been compared to an Alpha Romeo, a Fiat Spyder (?)
and an MGB. But I think for sleekness it beats all three.
The B and the Alpha, have the rounded bonnet and round head lights, but then
the hood lines run a straight horizontal line back to the tail. They have no
slope to the door line or curve to the rear fender. It's like MG and Alpha
designed a front end and then lost all creative urges when they got past the
door seam. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've got a friend that
LOVES boxy BMW's from the 70's...The boxier = the better for him. His ideal
car would have a perpendicular rear window and windshield to the trunk and
bonnet. And a hood you could put a ball bearing on and it would just sit
there. (He shouldn't be allowed to breed, in my opinion)

Finally, how can anyone NOT love the clam-shell hood of a spitfire? (How
many production cars do that stock?)

(I've also been asked if it was a Porsche or a Ferrari...but people are just
plain stupid).

For those of us who are a bit on the tall side (6'+ with a majority of it in
the legs) some cars would be even more uncomfortable to drive. I've been
told by midget owners that the midget is called a midget for a reason, and I
shouldn't even attempt to get in one.

I've seen the seats in a friend's bugeye, and they look like they were metal
beer barrels that were cut in a diagonal fashion and set into the car tub.
No lumbar curve or even any padding except a cover!
My '76 has a very comfortable seat (now that I've replaced the foams and
vinyl covers), and even get aknowledgements that the seats are more
comfortable than a contemporary car. As you know, they don't have a lot of
support. They're just firm enough to keep you from rolling out of the seat,
which is probably horrible for your back on a long drive...but it feels
great for a short periods.

As far as performance, I believe the Spitfire was the leader in the 60's and
70's for total wins in American events in class. But Triumph had some of the
best drivers and engineers of the time (in small sport car class). But since
the racing history for the past 20-30 years has been supported soley by the
hobbiest/enthusiest and the occasional parts/mechanical shop, there may have
been a shift in power. (I'd actually like to know if there's a way of
looking up the total number of SCCA wins in national events of cars by make
since their inception.)

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spitfire 1500
Maryland